When women cut their hair short, they feel attractive, I think they’re saying, ‘I’m on my terms, I’m not letting typical male desires dictate my choices,’ and that’s intimidating as hell to a lot of men, because there are a lot of men out there who still are raised to think that they can tell women what to do. And then you have to think, well, if that’s why you’re afraid of cutting it, do you want a man who wants a woman who’s not confident? When it’s done best, beauty is about infusing confidence; that’s what’s beautiful to me.Michael Angelo, from Into the Gloss
Somewhere between March and April of 2013, a new Chinese word emerged over the Internet: the green tea bitch (绿茶婊). Netizens joined in a collective effort to formulate a suitable definition of what a ‘green tea bitch’ actually is. As a result, a short essay was composed – containing twenty-four different characteristics. The ‘green tea bitch’ is not the first term that categorizes young Chinese women in an overall derogatory manner. Other examples include ‘coffee bitch’, ‘black tea bitch’ or ‘milk tea bitch’.
now imagine if i got that tattooed on the back of my neck…
Beauty is an abyss so deep that if you ever look at it directly in the face, you will be eaten by it.
I want to be
you want in your
mind and your gut and
But I don’t want you
to fuck the whole
world to find out.
i was talking to a moth
the other evening
he was trying to break into
an electric light bulb
and fry himself on the wires
why do you fellows
pull this stunt i asked him
because it is the conventional
thing for moths or why
if that had been an uncovered
candle instead of an electric
light bulb you would
now be a small unsightly cinder
have you no sense
plenty of it he answered
but at times we get tired
of using it
we get bored with the routine
and crave beauty
fire is beautiful
and we know that if we get
too close it will kill us
but what does that matter
it is better to be happy
for a moment
and be burned up with beauty
than to live a long time
and be bored all the while
so we wad all our life up
into one little roll
and then we shoot the roll
that is what life is for
it is better to be a part of beauty
for one instant and then to cease to
exist than to exist forever
and never be a part of beauty
our attitude toward life
is to come easy go easy
we are like human beings
used to be before they became
too civilized to enjoy themselves
and before i could argue him
out of his philosophy
he went and immolated himself
on a patent cigar lighter
i do not agree with him
myself i would rather have
half the happiness and twice
but at the same time i wish
there was something i wanted
as badly as he wanted to fry himself
i love this so much, it makes me cry
we all have our fetishesdavid
yours is just money
it’s a fairly normal one
While the new Pope, Francis, has made a point of emphasizing simplicity—rather than wearing the usual gold ring, he has insisted on one made of silver—today he gave way to Vatican tradition and formally assumed his office following most (but not all) of the elaborate ceremonial script worked out in minute detail over more than a thousand years. Even within this deeply traditional institution, the script has changed, sometimes quite substantially…
Alexander Stille on the inauguration of Pope Francis: http://nyr.kr/WTLifE
Photograph by Spencer Platt/Getty.
two words: G WAGON
- Ray: You need any help?
- Shoshanna: I'm fine, thank you. It's pretty shiny so I'll probably find it soon.
- Ray: Pretty bitchin' cheese plate you brought over. The, uh, computer tells me you unfriended me on facebook.
- Shoshanna: Yeah, well I didn't feel like seeing you in my feed anymore.
- Ray: That's not very nice.
- Shoshanna: Yeah, well, you weren't very nice. You hurt me, okay? You hurt my feelings but I can deal with it because I have my big girl pants on.
- Ray: You realise you're actually wearing-
- Shoshanna: I don't think that's funny; that's not funny to me.
- Ray: Look, I don't want you to be upset with me.
- Shoshanna: Are you kidding me? You don't want to date me, that's fine. Because I don't want to date you either because I only want to date people who want to date me because that is called self respect. But I do not have to like you, okay? You were never my friend, you were only my lover and that is now over.
- Ray: You know, when I'm not around you - when you just send me a text full of emojis - it is so easy to dismiss you.
- Shoshanna: What is wrong with emojis?
- Ray: A panda next to a gun next to a wrapped gift..? It makes no sense.
- Shoshanna: You make no sense! You rejected me and you are now insulting me and you do not get to have me like you now. So, you should-
- Ray: Hold on, let me finish, okay? What I wanted to say is when I'm around you I remember, okay? I remember. I remember your charm, your innocence, your strength, this beautiful, fresh, vibrant sincerity.
- Shoshanna: You know, I-um, I'm really tired of being insulted, even when it comes before a compliment, so I am now leaving.
i can’t explain the raw joy of waking up and opening the blinds to find the sun blindingly shining through, with a clear blue sky,
sitting on the couch and drinking french press kona, while your friend is blasting a mishmash of spoon and dash berlin as part of her morning shower routine
if movies were ever just made of happy things, this would be mine